Well, restoring a PST is a file restore, not an Exchange restore.  You have
to remember how Veeam works.  It takes a snapshot of a VM, then backs up
the entire VM (aka an image-level backup).  So yes, to restore a file from
a guest OS running in a VM, you must first restore that VM before you can
get a single file back.  Now, if you have multiple VMs on a single full
backup on the tape, you can choose to restore ONLY that VM, not ALL VMs
that are on the tape.

Up until 6 months ago we were an all physical Exchange shop too.  We had
several physical Exchange servers in a DAG.  We wanted to move away from
Backup Exec so we stood up a virtual Exchange server with the mailbox role
and added it to the DAG.  Then we had Veeam backup the passive copies of
the DAG databases from that server.  Veeam integrates with VSS, so when the
full backup was done on the virtual Exchange, it truncated the logs on all
Exchange servers.

http://helpcenter.veeam.com/backup/70/vsphere/restoring_files_from_tape.html