Can somebody explain to me what steps Outlook and Exchange take when
performing a synchronization?

Here's the scenario, Outlook 2000 SP1 client, Exchange 5.5 SP4 server...
User has an Inbox with 4400+ items, about 6 megs worth of mail...  Inbox
synchronizes for offline use in about 30 seconds....
Same user has a Sent Items folder with 2100+ items, but about 200 megs worth
of "stuff" (being polite, he's got big attachments)...  Takes about half an
hour to synchronize, every time......

Does Outlook have to compare each item in the folder every time it
synchronizes?  I'm assuming that it does and that's why it takes half an
hour to synchronize (over a 384K WAN connection) every time the user needs
to synch Outlook?  If that's the case, wouldn't it be smarter for Outlook to
keep some kind of change log while offline to assist in synchronizing only
those items that have changed, and leaving other items alone?

I'm not really looking for help here because I know the answer is (most
likely) to have the user delete his larger sent items, but I'd like to
provide a good explanation of if / why it takes so long every single time...

Thanks in advance.

Joe Pochedley