Next time, hide the mailbox, set the max allowable incoming mail size to 0K
and then get permission to delete it in writing, after having permission
export the mailbox to PST and burn it to a CD.    That's how I do it...YMMV

For your immediate problem, get busy building that recovery server.

Matthew