From: Benjamin Scott [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Thursday, September 13, 2001 8:11 PM
To: Exchange Discussions
Subject: RE: TCO - Linux vs. Exchange

On Thu, 13 Sep 2001, Lefkovics, William wrote:
> I have a problem with support costing $990,000 for the Exchange/Intel
> platform and $0 for the Linux one.

  Indeed.  While Linux is famous for the support its community provides, it
isn't like Microsoft has no user community, either.  What do they think this
list is?  More importantly, any company is going to want the support of a
commercial operation, be it a distribution vendor like Red Hat or a small
integrator like my own employer.

  They are not comparing apples to apples, either.  Exchange is not an email
server, it is a collaboration framework that happens to support email.
Exchange has a great many features that we are unable to offer our clients
on the Linux side of things.  It happens that most of our clients don't need
those features, but some do, and they are running Exchange on NT for that
reason.

  Professionally, I can state definitively that no one size fits all.

--
Ben Scott <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>