-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]On Behalf Of John Allhiser
Sent: Thursday, September 13, 2001 9:39 PM
To: Exchange Discussions
Subject: RE: TCO - Linux vs. Exchange

Oddly enough <scratching chin> we have this scenario where I work.
We bought the new IBM mainframe (2 actually).  It seems to me, they would
make great end tables for the couch conscious...
(Why does every IT person wear birth control glasses and lime green?  I may
be wrong...)
  We use HP servers with NT/2000 on the other side of the room.

Advantage: Hmmmm...probably the IBMs

We have had a basically bullet-proof Exchange/NT system running on dual 733s
with about 4x ram and 6x storage more than the article uses as an example
(for twice the user base).  Basic maintenance and a "don't f___ with it"
policy.
  The TCP/IP stack on the new "zzzzs" tends to not "fail" so much any
more...

Advantage: HP/Exchange/NT

After working with SendMail at AT&T, Exchange is a breeze. (read: routing)
  Linux mail daemons are great to configure, until you do 2500 at once, then
maintain it.
  <defensive geek mode>No it isn't that fun to script! It's inetd.conf to
the nth power.</defensive geek mode>

Advantage: HP/Exchange/NT

HPOpenView, CiscoWorks, NAV and Trend, Mailbox Manager, IMC(s), AutoAccept,
various quick scripts, et cetera...
  The mainframe guy says he can run Tivoli and various other management and
collaboration products from the new mainframe without sacrificing the number
crunching processes.  He also mentions messaging...we in Network mention
Margaritas.

Advantage: HP/Exchange/NT

Mainframe guy buys...

Advantage: Mainframe