your DNS settings are messed up

www.theircompany.com is not a valid DNS server. 127.0.0.1 is your loopback
address, so unless you have DNS running on the machine you are querying
from, nothing will happen.

go to 'networking' in the control panel, look under protocols, look at the
properties for TCP/IP.

on the DNS tab, specify some valid DNS servers.

nslookup always defaults to the first server in the list, but you can use
any server by issuing the command 'server xx.xx.xx.xx'

> I also did a telnet to port 25 but it returned somthing like
> esmtp sendmail
> 8.9.1a/8.9.1: then the date at a specific time (met DST)

this means you have connected ok. if you turn on 'local echo' in your telnet
application you can see commands as you type them.

to test the server, try:

MAIL FROM: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (hit enter)
RCPT TO: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (hit enter)
DATA: (hit enter)
type a message
type a dot on a new line and hit enter to finish.

hth.

dan.