If they didn't use his username/password, there would be an event in the
event log - get the IT people to have a look (or maybe they did
it..............)

-----Original Message-----
From: Tim Ault [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: 19 October 2001 16:33
To: Exchange Discussions
Subject: Investigating a Forged Message

Here's a little something some of you may enjoy this fine Friday.. put on
your investigator hats..

My wife forwarded this message to me:

ahem.. *chortle* ..well, in any event, "Arthur", VP (Very Pissed), wants a
head on a pike. I will offer to him (via my woman) the following likely
prospects:

1) The culprit got direct access to OL2k on the desktop;
2) The culprit knew Arthur's username & password;
3) A confederate Exchange Admin granted "User" or "Send as" permission to
culprit
4) Culprit spoofed the message from an SMTP srvr, or used a similar serve
from the web.

Feel free to presume the obvious; and I can pass along a few details that
have be provide me. Care to contribute?

Tim.