Yep... it does a -pretty good- job... but I would like to get more detailed
than that... I was hoping not to have to go into detail on my problems, but
rather find a book or other source that can help me... so here goes... as an
example, my exchange environment is as follows:

-E5.5 SP4 (three servers, one is a bridgehead) and now two E2K SP1 servers.
-Currently the bridgehead is configured to transport all internet mail to a
Unix Sendmail box which then moves it to either the internet or to Unix
mailspools.

-I configured the E2K servers to use the smarthost (Sendmail box) for SMTP
mail.. additionally there is a tab on the properties for the SMTP server
(Messages Tab) with 'Forward all mail with unresolved recipients to
host:'... I can't find anything about this entry in the E2K help file or Mr.
Redmond's book... seems self explanatory that this would forward both
internet mail and organization mail to whatever your put for the host...
unfortunately when I look at the headers of any messages sent from the E2K
machines configured to use smarthost and forward all unresolved messages,
they are actually using x.400 and sending the messages directly to the
server that hosts the mailbox (in the case of a mailbox in the org) or
sending the internet mail through the E5.5 bridgehead server (and letting it
send the mail to the Sendmail box) instead of sending it to the Sendmail box
themselves.
...So that leaves me with three conclusions...
a) I don't have it configured right (hence one of my motivations for a
second book)
b) The paths to the bridgehead server take precedence over the smarthost
information on the E2K servers (I don't see any costing for the smarthost
configuration).
c) I need to look at using an SMTP Connector instead of trying to just
configure the SMTP Virtual Servers.... is this the same as in E5.5 where you
then have a single point of failure.. the server with the connector goes
down and so the other servers queue the mail until its back?

I mean no disrespect to Mr. Redmond, his book has been immensely helpful to
me, but in this case and a few others, I need more detail than is provided
by his book or the exchange help file (yes I have tried the MS
Knowledgebase... pretty much identical info to the help file on this
subject).

jeff e.