Not entirely true, at least on the SMTP (port 25) side.

You could set the IMS to only accept connections from your firewall, and
have the firewall proxy (rather than just filter) mail. Unfortunately, many
firewalls won't proxy SMTP.

Roger D. Seielstad - MCSE MCT
Senior Systems Administrator
Peregrine Systems