From: Shawn Connelly [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Tuesday, October 30, 2001 1:24 PM
To: Exchange Discussions
Subject: Accessing Exchange from Outlook 2k through firewall

(This is my first email to the group so hopefully I'll get this right!)

> I'm trying to access our Exchange Server through a firewall (>
> utilizing
port forwarding) with Outlook 2000 and Exchange Server support (lan type
connection).  By process of elimination, I have discovered that the
forwarding the following ports works (sort of):

23-31,50,80,110,119,123,143
100-150
4500-5000

Obviously, I'd like to narrow down the 100-150 and 4500-5000.

Though I can finally read and respond to email, I found that my offline
folders have disappeared from my laptop (not sure if this was a
coincidence or not) and attempting to re-instate the offline folders
gives me the following error:

>From tools/Off-line folder settings:
Msg: You must configure an offline folder before you can use this folder
offline. Would you like to configure an offline folder now?
Response: yes
Msg: The attempt to log on to the MS Exchange Server has failed. Why
this happening?  Remember while attempting this operation, I am already
successfully connected to the Exchange server.  My only guess is that I
need to forward more port numbers through the firewall. I have search
through the MS Knowledgebase, my Exchange server manuals, other on-line
support sites, Slapstick, etc. Your help is greatly appreciated, Shawn
----
Shawn Connelly, Network Engineer.  Dipix Technologies Inc.
This message is coming from a remote location!