From: Andy David [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Wednesday, October 31, 2001 6:22 AM
To: Exchange Discussions
Subject: RE: Accessing Exchange from Outlook 2k through firewall

Hey , I like it!
Kinda like: "What color is an orange?"

-----Original Message-----
From: Ed Crowley [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Tuesday, October 30, 2001 11:13 PM
To: Exchange Discussions

V           V  PPPPPP   N     N
 V         V   P     P  NN    N
  V       V    P     P  N N   N
   V     V     PPPPPP   N  N  N
    V   V      P        N   N N
     V V       P        N    NN
      V        P        N     N

Ed Crowley MCSE+I MVP
Tech Consultant
Compaq Computer

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]On Behalf Of Shawn Connelly
Sent: Tuesday, October 30, 2001 11:24 AM
To: Exchange Discussions

(This is my first email to the group so hopefully I'll get this right!)

> I'm trying to access our Exchange Server through a firewall (> utilizing
port forwarding) with Outlook 2000 and Exchange Server support (lan type
connection).  By process of elimination, I have discovered that the
forwarding the following ports works (sort of):

23-31,50,80,110,119,123,143
100-150
4500-5000

Obviously, I'd like to narrow down the 100-150 and 4500-5000.

Though I can finally read and respond to email, I found that my offline
folders have disappeared from my laptop (not sure if this was a coincidence
or not) and attempting to re-instate the offline folders gives me the
following error:

>From tools/Off-line folder settings:
Msg: You must configure an offline folder before you can use this folder
offline. Would you like to configure an offline folder now?
Response: yes
Msg: The attempt to log on to the MS Exchange Server has failed.
Why this happening?  Remember while attempting this operation, I am already
successfully connected to the Exchange server.  My only guess is that I need
to forward more port numbers through the firewall.
I have search through the MS Knowledgebase, my Exchange server manuals,
other on-line support sites, Slapstick, etc.
Your help is greatly appreciated,
Shawn
Shawn Connelly, Network Engineer.  Dipix Technologies Inc.
This message is coming from a remote location!