Update on this problem - found a fix...

I removed all replicas of the free/busy folder from other servers in the
sites via Public Folders - Instances so that only the first server in the
site had a copy, then ran consistency adjuster via advanced properties of
server to adjust all inconsistencies on public information stores - after
I'd done that the main free/busy folder at the site level (same container
as OAB etc.) was visible again and could be accessed.

Not sure why this solved the problem but would be glad to give anyone
further details.

Some of the MS dox say that replicas are worth having to speed up access
and also if you have problems with the first site server but the guy I
dealt with said you shouldn't have replicas as it causes this sort of
problem.

Hope this helps someone.

Thanks for all the replies.

Andy Russell