I found this.....so I will go with it....

PSS ID Number: Q240145
Article last modified on 10-10-1999

winnt:5.5

---

 - Microsoft Exchange Server, version 5.5
---

SUMMARY
=======

Exchange Server database transaction logs record all changes to an Exchange
Server database. Over time, these logs accumulate and use all disk space if
they
are not permanently deleted. Exchange Server automatically deletes
unnecessary
log files by either of the following methods:

 - If circular logging is enabled, the system deletes transaction logs soon
  after they have been written to the database file. Circular logging is the
  Exchange Server installation default.

 - If circular logging is disabled, the system deletes excess logs after a
full
  or incremental backup.

You may occasionally need to remove transaction log files manually if you
have
run out of disk space or anticipate such an event before a backup can be
made.
Removing logs yourself can be dangerous to the database. If you remove a log
that contains data that has not yet been written to the database file, you
will
almost always damage the database and make it unstartable.

NOTE: "Removing" a transaction log file means moving it to another location
where
it can be backed up, stored, or deleted, depending on your needs. "Deleting"
is
a kind of removal that does not permit you to back up or restore the log
file.

This article explains how to tell which log files can be safely removed
without
risk to the current database file.

MORE INFORMATION
================

After Exchange Server has written all information from a particular
transaction
log to the database file, that log file will be accessed again only if a
previous backup of the database is restored. The log is now in the "past" of
the
database. But if a backup is restored, the log is in the "future" of the
restored database. Its information can be applied to the database to bring
it up
to date.

IMPORTANT: When you remove excess transaction logs, you should move them
rather
than delete them in order to preserve this "roll forward" capability.

The following steps apply to both the information store and to the directory
service.

To determine which log files can be safely removed:

1. In the Exchange Server Administrator program, view the working path for
the
  database.

   Path locations are found on the <Server> object's Database Paths
  properties page. The checkpoint file (Edb.chk) is located in this path. If
  the Administrator program is unavailable, you can view the working path in
  the system registry. Run Regedit.exe and expand the following registry
key.

For the information store:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\MSExchangeIS\Parameters
System\Working
  Directory

For the directory:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\MSExchangeDS\Parameters
\DSA
  Working Directory

2. At a command prompt, change directory to the working path folder. View
the
  header of the Edb.chk file with Eseutil (Exchange Server 5.5):

   "eseutil /mk edb.chk" (without the quotation marks)

   or Edbutil (Exchange Server 4.0 and 5.0):

   "edbutil /mk edb.chk" (without the quotation marks)

   Note that the screen output is similar to the following:

   Microsoft(r) Windows NT(tm) Server Database Utilities
  Version 5.5
  Copyright (C) Microsoft Corporation 1991-1998. All Rights Reserved.

   Initiating FILE DUMP mode...
  Checkpoint file: edb.chk

   LastFullBackupCheckpoint (0,0,0)
  Checkpoint (157,2860,500)    comment: Checkpoint is in log 157 decimal
  FullBackup (90,8,10)
  FullBackup time:1/15/1999 18:18:36
  IncBackup (0,0,0)
  IncBackup time:0/0/1900 0:0:0
  . . .

   The three numbers on the Checkpoint line represent the log file
generation
  number, a sector offset into the log file, and a byte offset into the
sector.
  Write down the generation number.

3. Convert the generation number into hexadecimal. In this example, decimal
157
  translates to hexadecimal 9D. Exchange Server log files are numbered with
  five hexadecimal digits (for example Edb12345.log). Leading zeroes are
used
  to pad the log number out to five digits. Thus, the checkpoint log file
from
  the preceding example is Edb0009d.log.

   NOTE: You can use the Scientific mode of the Windows Calculator to
convert
  from decimal to hexadecimal. Start the Calculator, and on the View menu,
  click Scientific. Enter the decimal number, and click Hex.

4. The checkpoint log itself may not be found in the Transaction Logs
folder,
  but you will always find a log file one number lower than the checkpoint.
For
  example, the Edb0009d.log file may not exist, but the Edb0009c.log file
does.
  The reason for this is that the checkpoint may be in the Edb.log file.
When
  the Edb.log file is full, it is renamed Edb0009d.log, and a new Edb.log
file
  is created, which will itself eventually be renamed Edb0009e.log, and so
on.

5. You can safely remove all numbered logs below the checkpoint, but not the
  checkpoint log itself. In this example, you can remove Edb0009c.log,
  Edb0009b.log, and so on, but not Edb0009d.log. If you do not intend to
remove
  all logs older than the checkpoint, it is best to remove them in
  chronological order, starting with the oldest.

   Remember to move, not delete, the log files.

You do not have to stop the database service to remove log files older than
the
checkpoint.

If you must restore a backup, you must also restore all log files created
since
the last backup. If there is a gap in the sequence of logs, you cannot roll
forward past the gap.

Additional query words:

Keywords          : exc55
Technology        : kbExchangeSearch kbExchange550 kbZNotKeyword2
Version           : winnt:5.5
Issue type        : kbhowto
=
Copyright Microsoft Corporation 1999.