-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]On Behalf Of Herold Heiko
Sent: Friday, November 23, 2001 1:41 AM
To: Exchange Discussions
Subject: RE: (stupid?) directory replication question

Oh.
In this moment all visible (255/750) in folder replication status on the
old server are "local modified", while those visible on the destination
server ((41/750) all are "in sync".
I'm starting to wonder, since those are live folders, where both users
work and incoming mail is routed, could this be just due to new changes
applied continously, never permitting a complete quiescent state ?

I still lack to understand how exchange works in this case - I suppose
once the whole "old" content has replicated, the new arriving content
from outside is queued for both (all) servers containing a replica
(knowing which ones from directory replication), so it would not be a
problem removing the "old" instance if the old content has been
replicated.

However if I understand it correctly exchange users always use the
instance on their local server (performance optimization) - this means
any user who's mailbox is on the old server does work on the instance
hosted in the old server.
Now, if I remove that replica, just a moment after a change has made on
the old server (not in sync), is that change still queued and will it be
replicated, or will it be lost ? In other words, once the original
content has replicated, is it possible to remove that replica on a live
server, or is it necessary to force somehow a completely quiescent
system (kick off users, shut inbound connectors ecc, wait for
replication ) ?
On the other hand, if it is possible to remove the old instance as soon
as the base content has replicated, how are we supposed to know when
this is if every new change puts the state in "modified" ? I suppose it
is possible to wait and catch the exact moment for single folders, but
if you need to relocate a bunch of folders (remove old server or
whatever), how are you supposed to do it ?

Also, just another terrifying thought, what if lots of those folders had
agents installed ? Initially those agents were running on the original
server. At the end of the process they will be running on the new
server. But in between ? Is exchange intelligent enough to run them on
one server only ? Or will it be run on both, possibly conflicting ?

Feeling more newbie than ever :( ....

Heiko

--
-- PREVINET S.p.A.            [EMAIL PROTECTED]
-- Via Ferretto, 1            ph  x39-041-5907073