If you want to preserve Permissions you can (Method 1):

1.      Using the DR method but copy all of the PF's to somebody's mailbox
2       Export the mailbox using Exmerge with the option Folder permissions
selected.
3.      Move the PST file to a production machine.
4.      Copy the folders from the PST to the Public folder hierarchy. (The
restored PF name will be appended to something like {Original Folder Name}1.
5.      You should notice that all the public folders you have copied back
still have the relevant permissions.

The rest is up to you.

I assume that you'll do something on the lines of:
1.      Stop the replication of the PF's to the other servers
2.      Secure all new items posted to the PF hierarchy using the standard
method.
3.      Delete the original PF.
4.      Rename the restored PF, change the X400 and SMTP addresses as
required.
5.      Replicate the restored PF. Add all new items back into the PF
hierarchy.

If your using a Fax solution you may need to see if this is still
operational after this (some of these fax based solutions need
reconfiguration after changes like this have been performed).

If you want to restore permission (method 2)
1.      Restore the folders (copy from DR Server, delete old folder after
saving new posting etc) in what ever method you deem applicable and :
2.      Use the PFadmin range of tools to restore permissions
        (you are of course aware that these tools have their limitations and
under certain circumstances are just too much trouble to use).

If you want to restore permission (method 3)
1.      Restore the folders (copy from DR Server, delete old folder after
saving new posting etc) in what ever method you deem applicable and :
2.      Use the Outlook client to copy the folder permissions
(File\Folder\Copy Folder design and select only the relevant options) for
one folder to another.
        (you only have a couple of thousands so it shouldn't take more that
a week or so).

Anyway, hope this is some help, didn't promise any nice solution but just an
answer on how to restore the PF's with permissions in tact.

Mike