I believe that you could also leave the smtp addresses in tact and simply
empty the address space on the IMS. Also set the IMS to inbound only.

Removing the address space will stop Exchange from sending (route will be
removed from the routing table) but the IMS can still receive mail.

This might be easier.

Mike