From: Mike Anderson [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Wednesday, January 02, 2002 11:54 AM
To: Exchange Discussions
Subject: Need Help badly - Exchange 2000 / OWA

Greetings All,

I have multiple issues I am working on.  Let me first say
that I have extensive Internet experience behind me, and
have been working with every mail server under the sun
over the years.  Exchange however, always has come off
more complex than it needed to be - but I know that
Exchange is an incredible solution.  I have limited
experience with Exchange 5.5, but I am now installing
Exchange 2000 - and I am experiencing some problems.

I set up a virtual POP3 and SMTP domain for one of our
customers - and I have POP3 and SMTP working properly.  I
can use Outlook 2K to access my mailbox - and all works
beautifully.

BUT when I try to access the mail server using the Web
Interface, I am having tons of problems.  I keep getting
access denied, or simply no pages coming up at all.  I
checked all the IIS settings, and things seem to be
pointing to the correct directories according to the Docs
I have been reading up on.  After installing Exchange 2000
onto my Windows 2000 Server machine, it created a new
drive called "M" - and that's what IIS refers to for all
the Virtual Directory stuff.

One example I can provide is the following:  Our server is
called "Exchange" - so in the browser, I typed in
http://exchange/exchange/ - then it prompts me for a
Username and Password - so instinctively, I used the
Administrator login and password - and it DOESN'T work.
What the heck am I supposed to use, if the Admin login
doesn't even work???  This is the first thing that
indicated to me, that something is terribly wrong.

What things do I need to do or have in place in order to
get the Web Access to work?  I would love to have some
additional docs or resources I can look at, that would walk
me through each and every painful step required to get
this to work.  And troubleshooting processes to -

My environment is as follows:  I have a Windows 2000
Server Domain Controller so that provides all the Active
Directory stuff.  Then my Exchange 2000 Server is a
standalone server that "belongs" to the domain.  It's not
setup as a backup controller or anything like that.

Any information you can pass along to me, would be greatly
appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Mike