Dear DL Members,

        On any given business day, we have e-mail messages queued at the
Internet Mail Service (Outbound messages awaiting delivery).
        Normally, there is one of two "error categories" associated with
these queued up e-mail messages.

01.  Host Unreachable
02.  Network Error During Host Resolution

        The following is a document that I would like to give to Wawa's Help
Desk, to help them with handling these sorts of calls (our End Users receive
notification messages once every 4 hours, up till 48 hours).
        I am not sure that I fully understand these two error categories.
        Let me know what you think about the document below.

=====

E-mail messages queued at the Internet Mail Service.

        This document has been created to assist the PC Hotline with
resolving issues when an e-mail message is queued at the Internet Mail
Service on an Exchange Server.

01.  Open a call in the Applix Database.

02.  Ask the Outlook User to forward the "Notification" message to the PC
Hotline.

03.  Forward the "Notification" message to the NT Team.
        Include the Call Number in the subject line.

04.  The NT Team needs to check the Outbound Queues and find the "error
category".
        Host Unreachable
                MX Record is known by Wawa's ISP (Verio).
                Fire Wall (of Intended Recipient) may be down.
                IMC Service (of Intended Recipient) may be stopped (due to
virus, etc.).
                Intended Recipient's Personal ISP may be experiencing
problems.

        Network Error During Host Resolution
                MX Record is unknown by Wawa's ISP (Verio).
                Intended Recipient's Start of Authority (SOA) is not
reaching Wawa's ISP (Verio).

05.  The NT Team needs to report back to the PC Hotline.

06.  The PC Hotline contacts the Outlook User, providing the appropriate
information.

Test One

Ask the Intended Recipient to send a test e-mail message to the Original
Sender, and see if the Original Sender can successfully reply to the
message, without the reply getting queued up.

If the test fails, have the Original Sender contact the Intended Recipient
with the following information, based on the appropriate error category.

Host Unreachable

A.  The Intended Recipient should contact his or her "Help Desk" and ask
them to bring the following information to the attention of the System
Administrator.

B.  Inquire about any problems related to their e-mail servers or Fire Wall.

Network Error During Host Resolution

A.  The Intended Recipient should contact his or her "Help Desk" and ask
them to bring the following information to the attention of the System
Administrator.

B.  Wawa's ISP, Verio, does not have an MX Record for the Intended
Recipient's e-mail domain in their DNS tables.

C.  Please check with your Start of Authority (SOA) to make sure that they
are properly replicating your MX Record across the Internet.

=====

Rob Garrish
Exchange Administrator
Wawa Inc.