> Yowza. Keep these posts coming.
> They want to cluster here and I am fighting the good fight with these
>little snippets!

Well, the arguments are simple...

1. you have to do active/passive clustering, so you'll always have one
expensive server doing absolutely nothing. What a waste!

2. All you're protecting from is serious hardware failure, like the
motherboard blowing up. How often does that happen? You can build redundancy
in pretty much everywhere else on the server without clustering. Anyway, in
my experience, Exchange crashes are generally related to the databases and a
cluster is no help in that situation because all nodes share the same data.

3. The cluster service seems to do some strange things sometimes. During our
adventures into clustering, we had instances of the cluster simply
forgetting it's IP address or netbios name, total halt.

4. Failover isn't that great anyway. During tests we found that some of our
outlook clients would simply freeze and not pick up the new server
immediately - sometimes a reboot would be needed. Some macintosh clients
would completely lock up and the retouch guy goes beserk because he's lost
his quark doc.

5. Clustering requires win2k advanced server, so it will cost more to
license.

6. Having a good recovery server and DR plan means you can run loads of good
stuff on the recovery box when not in use for recovery, plus you can use it
for restoring mailboxes that your junior admin deleted.

I'm sure there's more...

dan