-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]] On Behalf Of Daniel
Chenault
Sent: Thursday, April 04, 2002 7:54 PM
To: Exchange Discussions
Subject: Re: Requesting Data errors with SAN and Large Mailboxs

I'm betting these users have tons of folders or, just as bad, a small
number
of folders with lots of messages in them.

When a user accesses the root of his mailbox the folders in the root
level
are enumerated by the server and passed back to the client. As each
folder
is accessed (either by clicking on it, by a rule or by dragging a
message to
it) the contents of that folder are enumerated by the server and passed
back
to the client. This... takes... time... for... lots... of... messages...
or... folders. The user sees a definite slowdown and in OutlookXP will
get
the popup message you described (Outlook's communication with the server
is
single-threaded).

Try this experiment if you can find the chance to do it. Have the user
reboot his workstation and start Outlook. Have perfmon running against
the
Exchange server watching physical memory, store usage of memory, cpu and
store use of cpu. Watch them spike up and keep ramping up. There's your
answer.

Solution: dig through the junk and get rid of the crap (Mike, let's meet
for
lunch on 4/4/97). Come up with a logical and efficient folder hierarchy
that
reflects the users' usage of those folders. Anything not accessed in
over
six months (arbitrary number) goes to a PST (and backed up, just in
case).

Although Exchange is generally pretty good about maintaining large
amounts
of objects and data the contents of the mailbox itself are pretty much
left
up to the user to manage. That is to say that Exchange owns the mailbox,
but
not the contents of the mailbox (in the sense of managing it). This is
usually not a problem, but then again the usual user doesn't have 65,000
objects in his mailbox, let alone 200,000.

I understand there are some third-party add-ons for Outlook that help
with
managing a large amount of information offering indexing, management and
archival functions; that's what's needed here. Exchange is doing what it
is
supposed to do and OL isn't intelligent enough to serve as a front-end
to a
very large store of objects. Take a look at www.slipstick.com.