Perfmon should also reveal whether the SAN is somehow slowing things down. I
know a SAN is supposed to be faster but that can depend on how it was
configured in the first place. I've seen a SAN being demoed that was
significantly slower than it should have been. After tuning the block sizes
to more closely reflect the expected block sizes being written (the demo
used Exchange and this is a known size) the performance problems
disappeared. Or rather was alleviated; there were some extraneous factors
that prevented the demo from giving a good result (not important at this
time). Bottom line is that to achieve high performance with a SAN requires
more than plugging it in and turning it on. There is a KB article on
selecting block size according to size of disks and number of spindles that
as I recall translates nicely to SAN configuration.

There are numerous objects under Object:PhysicalDisk that, in aggregate, can
give a very good idea of how the disk storage subsystem is performing. If I
were to choose one as a starting point it would be Current Disk Queue
Length. The Explain button for this says:

"Current Disk Queue Length is the number of requests outstanding on the disk
at the time the performance data is collected. It also includes requests in
service at the time of the collection. This is a instantaneous snapshot, not
an average over the time interval. Multi-spindle disk devices can have
multiple requests that are active at one time, but other concurrent requests
are awaiting service. This counter might reflect a transitory high or low
queue length, but if there is a sustained load on the disk drive, it is
likely that this will be consistently high. Requests experience delays
proportional to the length of this queue minus the number of spindles on the
disks. For good performance, this difference should average less than two.

If this number were to stay high, or be on a ramp-up that never goes back
down, this would indicate the disk subsystem is falling behind on servicing
read/write requests (the above represents both). From here there are other
counters that could be observed in order to narrow down where the slowdown
is occuring.

As to your other point about all the mail being elsewhere besides in the
inbox. When a mailbox opens the root folder is enumerated - a large number
of folders in the root would be a slowdown. Then the inbox is enumerated;
ditto for a large number of messages. Then rules are fired and here is where
other folders could be touched and thus enumerated. This could make for a
very slow startup for Outlook. After startup the user might drag a message
with the mouse to a folder; that folder gets enumerated if it hasn't
already, same if a rule fires. A new message sent would write to the Sent
Items folder, enumeration again. A deleted message is sent to the Deleted
Items folder and, again, more enumeration. I trust that answers your
question on that score.