In my (granted, limited) experience I have seen the cause of this to be
whatever AV is running on the Exchange Server.  If an item is being
synchronized that hasn't been flagged as "scanned" by the antivirus software
on the server, it will try to scan it before allowing it to be synchronized
... and on large synch operations, this'll time out the client and cause
these errors.  We've alleviated the problem with NAVMSE by enabling the
background scanning thread ... otherwise it will continue to mark everything
as unscanned everytime the defs are updated -- daily!

Jon

sp?err=8000400
5-501-0-550

13:22:37 Synchronizing Folder 'Monthly 2002'
13:22:40           1 item(s) added to offline folder
13:22:40 Error synchronizing folder
13:22:40                 [80004005-501-0-550]
13:22:40                 The client operation failed.
13:22:40                 Microsoft Exchange Server Information Store
13:22:40                 For more information on this failure, click the URL
below:
13:22:40
http://www.microsoft.com/support/prodredirect/outlook2000_us.asp?err=8000400
5-501-0-550

Now I understand that OL has problems with OST's over 2Gb, etc etc so I've
tried to set a filter on his Inbox and some of the larger folders to limit
the number of items that are synched...  The filters didn't seem to help and
most folders are still exhibiting the problem...  Many of the folders that
aren't synching aren't really all that big (<10Mb)...  Out of say, 250
items, only 40 of them will synch...

I've also tried to set the user's mail up on a WinXP Pro box with OL2002 and
tried to synch that, but end up with the same results....

Does Outlook have a set amount of time it waits for an item or folder to
synch before giving up and going onto the next folder?  If so, is there a
way to increase this time...  Can anyone give me some other pointers or
resources to look at why OL won't synch (not that it won't synch at all, but
won't synch completely)?  Is the situation with synching large offline
folders any better under Exch. 2000?

Thanks in advance for any pointers.

Joe Pochedley