Hi All,

Can somebody explain to me how the three interact.  I have been reading up
on some postings and would like some clarification as to how they are
interrelated.

We have 2 Domain Controllers(DCs), A and B and Exchange as a member
server. A is setup as the Global Catalog.  We added a third DC, C, to
replace A.  We promoted C as a global catalog and remove Global Catalog
function from A.  We forced replication between the two DNS servers, A and
C.  We then shutdown A.  That's when we noticed that users complained that
Outlook failed.  Can somebody explain to me why this happen?  We had to
bring back server B to get this fixed.

>From what I have read, this is how I assume it works.  Please correct if I
am mistaken.

When a Outlook MAPI client connects to exchange, it queries the Exchange
server for the preferred Global Catalog.  Exchange replies with the
closest GC it knows of and the Outlook client caches the information.
This can be seen on your local computer's registry.  If for some reason,
the GC were to go down, then it would not work.

Exchange only knows about the Global Catalog that it boots up with.  Any
new GC added afterwards requires a reboot or the System Attendant to
restart.  The list of GCs avaiable for Exchange to refer Outlook clients
reflect the state of the network when Exchange was booted and is not
dynamically updated.

>From our scenario, could it be that because Exchange didn't know about our
new GC, Outlook failed?  I just want to decommissioned the A server from
our network.

I am trying to understand the interdependecies between Exchange and
Windows 2000 AD.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!