From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Thursday, August 15, 2002 12:39 AM
To: Exchange Discussions
Subject: Exchange, Global Catalog, and AD Help!!

Hi All,

Can somebody explain to me how the three interact.  I have been reading
up on some postings and would like some clarification as to how they are
interrelated.

We have 2 Domain Controllers(DCs), A and B and Exchange as a member
server. A is setup as the Global Catalog.  We added a third DC, C, to
replace A.  We promoted C as a global catalog and remove Global Catalog
function from A.  We forced replication between the two DNS servers, A
and C.  We then shutdown A.  That's when we noticed that users
complained that Outlook failed.  Can somebody explain to me why this
happen?  We had to bring back server B to get this fixed.

>From what I have read, this is how I assume it works.  Please correct if
I am mistaken.

When a Outlook MAPI client connects to exchange, it queries the Exchange
server for the preferred Global Catalog.  Exchange replies with the
closest GC it knows of and the Outlook client caches the information.
This can be seen on your local computer's registry.  If for some reason,
the GC were to go down, then it would not work.

Exchange only knows about the Global Catalog that it boots up with.  Any
new GC added afterwards requires a reboot or the System Attendant to
restart.  The list of GCs avaiable for Exchange to refer Outlook clients
reflect the state of the network when Exchange was booted and is not
dynamically updated.

>From our scenario, could it be that because Exchange didn't know about
our new GC, Outlook failed?  I just want to decommissioned the A server
from our network.

I am trying to understand the interdependecies between Exchange and
Windows 2000 AD.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

This e-mail and any attachments may be confidential and/or legally
privileged. If you have received this e-mail and you are not a named
addressee, please inform the Netstore Technical Support Desk on
+44 1344 444342 and then delete the e-mail from your system. If you are
not a named addressee you must not use, disclose, distribute, copy,
print or rely on this e-mail. Although Netstore routinely screens for
viruses, addressees should scan this e-mail and any attachments for
viruses. This mail has been processed with the Netstore Content
Filtering Service.

Visit our website at www.netstore.net