Normally there is no additional permission required to use GALMOD.

>From the BORK tools Help:

Using the GAL Modify Tool
If you want users to be able to modify information other than Notes for
either version of this tool, you must set appropriate permissions on the GAL
properties. For Microsoft Exchange Server version 5.5, the procedure is as
follows:

Start Microsoft Exchange Administrator in raw mode (admin -r)-for example,
c:\exchsrvr\bin\admin -r.
In the Microsoft Exchange Administrator window, choose View from the main
menu.
>From the View menu, choose Raw Directory.
In the right side of the window, double-click Schema.
Double-click the attribute you want to modify.
In the Access-Category box, change the value to 2, which denotes user
access.
Choose Set
Choose OK. When the warning message appears, choose OK again.

Maybe double-check the specific attributes per the above?  (And be *really*
careful using Admin in Raw mode!)