Craig/David,

I think that you may be confusing the Lotus Communications Server (LCS)
with the Lotus Messaging Switch (LMS).
The LCS was announced at cc:Mail Interchange '93, and was supposed to be
the product that served as the "Enterprise Messaging Backbone" that would
link X.400, SMTP/MIME, Notes and cc:Mail, and support gateways to fax,
MHS, PROFS, etc.  There were supposed to be versions for DOS, OS/2, UNIX
(Sun, AIX, HP), NLM, and NT.  It was meant to be the message transfer
agent, not the message store.  Lotus never shipped the product, and I
assumed that it was because of technical reasons rather than internal
politics, but possibly Mary is correct that it was political, because the
technology eventually ended up in the Domino server.
The LMS was developed by the Softswitch division of Lotus, and provided a
UNIX based alternative to the mainframe based Softswitch Central.  That
product did ship in the mid-1990s (I forget the date).  It served as a
message transfer agent, and was not a message store, but it did support
optional mail enabled applications such as library services and directory
services.

It's deja vu all over again.  The same internal tensions that hurt the
Lotus/cc:Mail relationship are appearing in the IBM/Lotus relationship.

Russ

Russell W. Chung
800.419.8726
+1/818.957.4925
fax: +1/818.951.5761
http://www.ameagle.com

"Dupler, Craig" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent by: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
09/04/02 02:03 PM
Please respond to "Exchange Discussions"