hey how about that Legato (former Vinca) CoStandby? has anyone ever had any good
experience with it? They have been around for a long time too.

-----Original Message-----
From: Chris Scharff [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Thursday, September 12, 2002 2:26 PM
To: Exchange Discussions
Subject: RE: Exchange 2000 HA

Well, obviously this is an area I've looked into quite a bit. <g>

My major issue with replication is bandwidth, in a large distributed
Exchange organizations there are in some cases sites which don't have (and
can't obtain) sufficient bandwidth for complete replication. A solution
which used snapshot (Exchange aware) backups and replicated diffs, would
probably be ideal in terms of bandwidth optimization... Recovery from
failover would be my biggest concern. How do the changes get replicated back
quickly in order to bring the production server back online and how
automated will the process be. Another issue which weighs on my mind
somewhat is testing... How easy is it to test failover, and how much
expertise is required to make sure it goes smoothly when the %^&# hits the
fan.  There are also some issues around message routing in the event of a
partial failover: updating of DNS and IP routing, client configuration and
the like.

Short answer: I don't think any full WAN replication solutions are as
straightforward or easy to implement as the vendors might like you to think.
Not that they aren't an appropriate solution for some companies, but
sunglasses are required during evaluation in order to not be blinded by the
sunshine and light the vendors espouse.

And like Missy, I like the Marathon Technologies solutions if for no reason
other than they've been at this game a lot longer than the other players and
have earned a good reputation during that time.

--
Chris Scharff, MVP MCSE
EMS Sales Engineer