In order to be fair, I was using Microsoft's posted prices for their
software. There are always going to be lower prices out there from places
like CDW and so the prices I quoted for W2K and E2K will also available at
a similarly lower price from places like CDW. Rebates come and go, and
again, price alone should never be the determining factor when putting in
the systems that will run your entire business.

Also, the prices I quoted include 10 CALs for W2K and 5 CALS for Exchange.
SBS only includes 5 CALs. Yes, you have to buy additional CALs for SBS at
about $60 each.

I would argue that Linux is well within the mainstream and because Unix
has been around far longer than Windows, there are tons and tons and tons
of software, much of it for free. And as far as Exchange-equivalency,
http://networking.earthweb.com/netos/article/0,,12083_1466561,00.html.
And, it is $999 with no CALs.

Also, have you seen the new interfaces on some of the Linux distributions?
Without hitting Ctrl-Alt-Backspace, you would almost never know that it
was not Windows. That "Linux support is difficult and expensive" is an old
argument that does not stand up with developments in the Linux world. I
have worked with Linux since the time you had to download and compile your
own kernel. And what you state was true of Linux 2 years ago, but
administering Linux is no more complicated today than administering
Windows networks. Is it different than Windows? Yes. More complicated? No.
And I would argue that finding good, low cost Linux resources is very easy
since many of the kids today that are coming out of high school and
college are Linux-fluent, even more so than Windows NT or Windows 2000
fluent.

Now, if by "mainstream" you mean Microsoft and IBM/Notes, then I would
agree with you that they have few products for Linux, but there are
applications for Linux that fill every or nearly every niche need that a
company could ever want. In fact, for many of the vendors in this space,
Windows versions are secondary to Unix/Linux platforms. To point:
http://www.trendmicro.com/en/products/gateway/isvw/evaluate/overview.htm
http://www.trendmicro.com/en/products/gateway/isem/evaluate/requirements.htm

And that is just one major vendor that fills the niches that you
specified. Linux comes with a built-in firewall and proxy server and there
are many packages out there for extending its capabilities.

SBS is cripple-ware. What other Microsoft product has a Q-article
specifically devoted to product limitations? There are at least 12 major
limitations listed in Q295765. Again, what possible motive can there be
for setting oneself up to fail? What would any company pigeon-hole
themselves into never growing above 10 employees? It does not make any
business sense.