I suspect this is a feature of one of your hosts outside Exchange.

Ed Crowley MCSE+Internet MVP kcCC+I
Tech Consultant
hp Services

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]] On Behalf Of Ken Cornetet
Sent: Monday, November 18, 2002 7:24 AM
To: Exchange Discussions
Subject: Weird SMTP header problem

Our E2K mailbox servers have recently developed a bad habit...

Many people here (myself included) create Outlook rules to move their
Internet email into a separate folder based on the SMTP headers. A
couple of days ago this stopped working. An quick examination of an
incoming Internet email's headers showed that most all of the header
information was gone, and what was there is strange.

Our email flow is this:

1. Internet to Cleanmail (floyd.cinergycom.net) (for virus scrubbing) 2.
Cleanmail to our checkpoint firewall (kimbintinc-cp.kimball.com) 3.
Checkpoint to nts126 (a NT4/MSX5.5 IMS connector) 4. nts126 to nts390
(E2K mailbox) via MTA

Normally, Internet email "Received:" headers look like this (edited for
brevity):

bytes) by floyd.cinergycom.net

Notice that nts390 is NOT listed in the headers, since nts126 (an MSX5.5
IMS
server) sends email to nts390 (E2K mailbox server) via MTA, not SMTP.

However, recently, This is what I see when looking at headers:

Microsoft Mail Internet Headers Version 2.0
        id <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>; Mon, 18 Nov 2002
09:03:08 -0500

There are several things wrong with this picture:

1. All of the preceding (timewise) "Received:" headers are gone.
2. Internet mail cannot be going directly to nts390, it must be going
through nts126
3. The one "Received:" header does not show who the message was received
from.

A reboot of the E2K mailbox server fixes the problem for a while, then
it mysteriously comes back.

Any ideas?