I'm not sure how this refutes anything along these lines.

Going to a trade show and picking up a freebie is one thing. Accepting a
title and accepting continued compensation is quite another. There is no
relationship implied with the first, there is with the second.

There are very specific things that denote a profession. One is having an
independent governing body that defines and enforces the "rules" and
ethics of the profession. The IT industry is a horrible failure in this
regard. And, if you want to get specific, the only real professions that
meet all of the definitions are military, medical, lawyers and to a lesser
degree accounting and engineering. If you want to get technical, the
military is the only profession that truly meets all of the requirements.
In terms of their management of individuals in their profession, they are
answerable to no one, have their own legal and ethical code of conduct and
enforce those rules. This is why there is the justice system and the
military's justice system.

We work with lawyers all the time. We even host partner companies on our
Exchange server for free. The lawyers that we work with FORCE us to bill
them because they cannot ethically accept this service for free. It
creates a conflict of interest for them. Our IT partners have no such
ethical constraints.

Go talk to lawyers, doctors and architects. Talk to them about their
governing bodies, their ethics, etc. Talk to them about vendors in their
industry. Getting things for free is viewed as bribery and a conflict of
interest. Some of these industries are more lax than others. Look at the
medical industry and how drug reps are viewed treated. Then compare that
with IT's views on vendors. The difference is stark. In one, drug reps
giving away free samples is seen as a huge problem, in IT it is not.