-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]] On Behalf Of Greg Deckler
Sent: Friday, February 07, 2003 2:01 PM
To: Exchange Discussions
Subject: RE: Shortcuts to Outlook objects

This is exactly what I am talking about. Certifications in our industry
are based around vendors and their tools. I get "Microsoft certified".
But that is meaningless. Imagine the corollary, a doctor gets certified
in "The Purple Pill". That's nonsense, but that is how the IT industry
works. We get certifications based upon vendors, not based upon the
services or processes we provide or our specialties. If we were to
operate more like a profession, we would have people getting certified
in "Email" and "Network OS", etc. But we do not, everything in IT is
vendor-based. It is sad and until our industry wakes up and realizes
this, it will fail to be viewed a profession on par with doctors,
lawyers, engineers, etc. This view has a SEVERE impact on our ENTIRE
industry. We are the equivalent of people traveling around in our
"medicine" wagon peddling snake oil and other remedies to cure all your
ills.