OWA doesn't know that another Exchange server is unavailable until it tries
to connect to it (i.e. whan a user tries to logon).  Like any other client
process, it will attempt to find and communicate with the server, and wait a
certain amount of time until either the connection is made or times out.
Maybe OWA could produce better error messages or have a "please wait while I
try to log you on..." screen, but they don't.