Thank you Michelle, that's really clear things up for me.

        -----Original Message-----
        From: Michelle Harmon [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
        Sent: Wed 6/18/2003 2:32 PM
        To: Exchange Discussions
        Subject: RE: ADSIEdit utility question

        AD *is* a database.  The schema is the structure of the database.  A GC
        is a computer that holds a copy of the database.

        So legacyexchangeDN is an attribute of the schema, which is stored in
        the AD database.  You are changing the value of the legacyexchangeDN
        attribute on a user object in the database.  The database copy that you
        are changing resides, quite possibly, on a GC, but at the very least a
        DC because a server must be at least a DC to have AD on it.

        Make sense?

        -Michelle