-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Edgington, Jeff
Sent: Tuesday, July 15, 2003 4:32 PM
To: Exchange Discussions
Subject: A benchmark if you have time...

I know this subject has been brought up before (and yes, I've looked
through the archives), but I'm looking for a little more detail.

Our current exchange environment is as follows:

- 9600 mailboxes (spread evenly over the servers)
- most quotas are 50/55/65 (warn/prohibit send/prohibit send/receive)
with about 5 percent exceeding this (some upwards of 600MB)
- 3 Protocol servers (running NLB)
        - 1GHz w/ 1GB RAM
- 6 Mailbox Servers (in-house built)
        - Dual PIII 866
        - 2GB RAM
        - 3Ware 7000-8 IDE RAID Controller (7200 rpm drives, 3 mirrors -
OS/TLOGS/Store - 1 hot spare)
        - 1Gbit NIC
- 1 Standby Mailbox Server (empty) that is same as above configuration.

This is an _OK_ configuration... it's been stable, but lacks some speed
(disk queue lengths on the storage mirrors will reach 80+ at times and I
can correlate the 'waiting on server' message with these queue
lengths)... the advantage of the multiple servers is that if an outage
occurs, it affects only 1/6th of the people... we are looking at
purchasing a SCSI disk subsystem for the current servers and are also
going as far as looking at purchasing name-brand servers with a SAN.  I
have been able to test (using HD Tach 2.61) 10,000 rpm SCSI drives, 7200
rpm SCSI drives, 7200 PATA IDE drive.. I'm waiting on a SATA drive
(already have a controller)... so far all have performed very close to
each other... it's not clear to me that the test I'm using is giving me
information that I can use to base my decision on.

What I'm looking for is what are others with similar mailbox
environments using?.  What do you like about your config?  What do you
wish you could change?  If you are using a SAN, which brand/model?

Thanks for your time!

Jeffrey Edgington
Systems Administrator
University of Missouri - Rolla