-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Shawn Connelly
Sent: Tuesday, August 19, 2003 5:51 AM
To: Exchange Discussions
Subject: Exchange (5.5) server not available

This is very strange and I'm at a complete loss as to what the problem is.
As of yesterday, 3 out of 53 computers all connected the same or similar way
with the same OS and Outlook client... are encountering one or more of the
following problems:

Server: Exchange Server 5.5 with latest patches
Workstations: Windows 2000 with SP3 or 4 - all patched for Blaster worm.
Outlook 2002

1. Very long delays in viewing messages at times (though quite often).  The
message, "Requesting Data from Microsoft Exchange Server" appears and
requires a very long time before it completes.  It's like being on a very
slow MODEM connection.  I have sense attempted to re-establish the client
connection by removing their profile.  Upon entering the client name and
clicking check name, the workstation can no longer see the Exchange server
at all.

2. Connecting a client (Outlook connecting to Exchange Server setting) is
impossible.  Typing the user name and clicking check name takes over 5
minutes before the message, "Exchange Server unavailable appears" or
"Outlook could not log on. Check to make sure you are connected to the
network and are using the proper server and mailbox name."

All systems can browse the Internet and also ping the MS Exchange server and
telnet to port 25 on the Exchange Server from both internally and
externally.  I've attempted connecting to the Server's name, its specific IP
address... nothing seems to work from Outlook or its client configuration
program.

What has happened since last Wednesday that is causing problems on only 3 of
53 workstations?

I'm at a loss!!

Help please!

SDC