That's certainly an option, but a much more costly one IMHO.

-----Original Message-----
From: Hague, Jeff [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Sunday, August 24, 2003 5:43 PM
To: Exchange Discussions
Subject: RE: Port 135 and Exchange Issue

Have you considered Terminal Server or (better yet) Citrix? This works
wonders for us - full Outlook & Exchange as well as all the other apps we
run. We only have a dozen or so users so far but my understanding is that
Terminal by itself on one decent server (dual Xeon 2.0GHz/1.5GB RAM) is fine
for 20 or so clients simultaneously. Beyond that, Citrix  on top of Terminal
is the way to go. Citrix also provides better support for local printers,
sound cards, etc plus a host of additional functionality.  Either 1 requires
only a single port through the firewall which hasnt been blocked by any ISPs
(yet?) and the traffic is already encrypted although I dont imagine its as
"tight" as most VPN solutions. The other thing we found so convenient is the
"Advanced" Terminal client which is simply a web page that loads the client
software through an ActiveX control in an IE session. The directions to get
our clients set up was litterally "go to wwww.whatever.com and follow the
instructions". There is some work to do getting the apps set up properly but
common apps like Outlook, Word and Excel are very well documented. Getting
our custom apps running wasnt near as difficult as I had expected either.
The big trick for us is handling profiles because some of our clients can
not have access to certain apps that other clients need so we had to modify
some profiles manually but with so few clients it hasnt been a big deal.

Jeff Hague
MCSE
Network Manager
Randolph-Macon College