As long as there is a connector of some sort (it might be X.400 or SMTP as
well) you should be okay.  You do not need a connector for every server in a
site to another site.  As long as there is a route to get mail from site A
to site B you are good to go.  Make sure you stop and start the MTA or force
a recalculation fo the routing table after you have made the necessary
changes.

Nate Couch
EDS Messaging