From: Martin, Jon [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Thursday, October 16, 2003 7:20 PM
To: Exchange Discussions
Subject: OWA and URLScan-Blocked Special Characters

OK, we all know that when you run Urlscan on an Exchange server that you
will not be able to view certain notes in OWA, specifically those notes
with special characters in the subject line. The special characters are
below, along with the reason, according to MS documentation, that these
should be blocked.

..      Allows directory traversals
./      Allows trailing dot on a directory name
\       Allows backslashes in URL
%       Allows escaping after normalization
&       Allows multiple CGI processes to run on a single request

My management wants these characters unblocked. To prevent this I need a
better understanding of what potential problems are being prevented by
the disabling of these characters. The above explanation in the MS
documentation is probably not going to be sufficient.

Does anyone have a more detailed explanation of the possible exploits
being blocked by disabling these characters??

Thanks.

Jon Martin