Thanks for the input on this. While both my post here and on the MS newsgroups failed
to elicit detailed specifics as to what exploits were being prevented by blocking
these particular characters, these responses were useful and definitely preferable to
what I received yesterday from MS PSS. Their answer was 'We know, but for security
reasons we cannot tell you.' ( A snide aside: Thanks, MS. That took five phone calls,
five emails, and you still have not agreed to non-decrement the case.)

On a much more positive front, I received an excellent response from Rand Morimoto
([EMAIL PROTECTED]), author of the book "Exchange 2003 Unleashed". My query to Rand
was to help explain the two most problematic character blocks (from a customer
irritation point a view) - the '..' and the '&'. Rand's response was as follows:

"The '..' in a URL allows for traversal of the directory tree. This means that when I
get access to one location on an Exchange server, I can send a .. command and walk
"up" the directory tree.  This can actually be minimized by having tight security
rights, so I really don't see a problem with that issue.  The '&' is more of a problem
because that allows you to "string together" multiple commands.  So you can tell an
IIS server to open an email and to launch an executable at the same time.  However
this too can be minimized as a risk by hardening the server so that someone cannot
hack the server to then launch an executable (i.e. I send an email to someone with an
attachment, I somehow know that persons logon/password, I then "open and launch" the
executable that brings the whole network down).  This "presumes" that you allow
executables into your network AND it presumes that someone has their user account
compromised.  But it's possible."
"So by themselves, the ability to bypass URLScan for these commands, while it does
weaken security, requires a couple other compromises to take place in your
environment. Another option is go to IIS6 / Exchange 2003 OWA.  IIS6 has functionality
that allows you to run and access messages that may otherwise be URLScan compromising,
however Exchange 2003 / IIS6 have better protections to allow access without
restricting accessibility while minimizing security risks."
The bottom line in our environment is that we will open the '..' and '&' for OWA, and
let other security measures handle the potential risks.

Jon