Had another episode where my Outlook clients (Outlook 2003 and 2002)
showed my Exchange Server as unavailable (Exchange 2003 on Windows 2003
member server).Exchange server did not show any errors.  The server's
shared folders were available.

I decided to stop the exchange services and restart them (stopped IIS and
dependent services, SMTP,) When I tried to stop the Exchange Information
Store it showed stopping, but would not stop.  I gave it fifteen minutes.
I then had to reboot the system as I could not wait any longer.

What would prevent the Information Store from stopping?

I had stopped the GFI mail essentials services, and the GFI mail security
services.

I had gone two weeks since the last time this happened.