I'm going to join Steve on this

Dude, STFU....

--Mark

-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Greg Deckler
Sent: Thursday, December 18, 2003 10:34 AM
To: Exchange Discussions
Subject: Greg's Utterly Fascinating Views on Ethics

OK, for some reason beyond my comprehension people seem to have this odd
fascination with my views on ethics in IT. They are so fascinated that every
time I post something to this list, they bring it up. In the interests of
trying to move past this, you can get your fix of my crazed views on ethics
in the form of a free monthly newsletter, The IT Ethics Newsletter.

Details can be found at http://www.infonition.com/ethics

I have not yet covered the Conflict of Interest topic but I'm sure that it
will come up eventually. Until then, here is how I see the two sides.

Greg:
Accepting direct gifts from third parties, especially significant gifts such
as large dollar items and titles, presents a real or perceived conflict of
interest between an IT professional's client (either the customer or company
that he or she works for) and that third party. This is why companies have
limits on the type and dollar amount of gifts that employees can accept from
third parties. Because MVP is primarily a title and titles are priceless,
there are obvious grounds for a potential conflict of interest. And it does
not matter if the conflict of interest is real or perceived. The whole point
of ethics and conflict of interest rules is to help keep people from getting
into ethical trouble and to remove even the specter or impropriety.

The Other Side:
The MVP title is not unethical. In fact, it does not matter what you do or
who you accept gifts from or what the type or dollar amount of those gifts,
it will never, ever constitute a conflict of interest. Furthermore, there is
really no such thing as a "conflict of interest". This whole "conflict of
interest" nonsense is, in fact, an evil plot propagated by the secretive
Illuminati. Obviously, the Illuminati have corrupted Greg's brain and the
brains of all of the corporations that have rules against accepting gifts.
Don't become another victim! Even if God himself comes down and points out
that something is obviously a potential conflict of interest, argue with God
because the Illuminati have obviously gotten to him.