Blimey, Greg, I can't believe people aren't making puerile jokes involving
the transposition of a vowel in your surname.

This is how I see the two sides:

Greg: Mine horse is higher than thine.  I am as important as anyone, my job
is as important as any job.  I want to be able to boast of the ethical
standards I attain for I am considerably holier than thou.  You see how
accepting massive sums of money from the oil industry and having tankers
named after you and so forth might be perceived as producing a conflict of
interest if you are a politician responsible for developing foreign policy
regarding the Middle East?  Well the MVP programme is just like that because
people who provide Microsoft consultancy are given pens.  By Microsoft.
With no strings attached.  And titles.  Which are priceless you know.

Everyone on this planet (I was going to say everyone _else_ but . . .) : For
heaven's sake GD, I don't perceive the MVP programme as producing a conflict
of interest as any rewards are unsolicited by the recipient and no demands
are made by the provider of the rewards.

The whole scheme is very open to the point that Microsoft operate a website
describing the scheme and several members of the programme also run a site
putting forward their perspective.  People we know have received the MVP
title and have not changed their behaviour in the least (the
how-come-Ed-still-hates-PSTSs-when-he's-an-MVP? argument).

If there really was a perceived conflict of interests people would not
accept the award as it would damage them professionally.  The scheme has
clear mutual benefits for Microsoft and the Microsoft-product-using
community as it encourages people to provide helpful on-line support but
there is nothing that amounts to a conflict of interests.

Are we seriously supposed to believe that people who would otherwise
consider Microsoft products inferior would spend their time helping people
use them just so they could be awarded a title the only possible material
benefit of which would only pertain if they locked themselves into working
with these products?

You are quite happy to come on here and ask the advice of these MVPs about
GroupWise clients for a project that you have costed up before you have a
solution worked out and yet you think they are unethical - don't you think
there's a certain amount of double standards here?  Your actions come across
like someone who receives benefits from the welfare state and spends their
time moaning about the immorality of capitalism.