Boy, I hate to jump in, but perhaps I can end this...

Greg, in the absolute, you are correct. Accepting *anything* of *any*
value whatsoever from third parties that stand to gain from your
relationship to your client could be considered a breach of ethics - in
the absolute. Even if the "gift" (title, free software, pencils..) does
not influence, the perception of the relationship to the third party is
still tainted.

Note I say "could be". The crux is in the context. Does your client
expect objectivity on your part? That is the critical difference. If an
IT professional bills themselves as providing the very best vendor
neutral solution, then accepting vendor gifts (even titles) could be
considered a breach of ethics.

Disclosure is another big factor. Has the relationship between you and
the third party been disclosed to the client?

For example, If I hire a lawyer to sue a company, I would every right to
expect that the lawyer not be getting any gratuities whatsoever from
that company. If the lawyer were receiving anything of value (even
titles, which could enhance their status) from the company, that would
be a breech of ethics. Furthermore, I'd expect any past relationship
with the company be disclosed fully to me. Failure of this, even if the
lawyer's performance wasn't actually swayed in the slightest, would
still create a perception of impropriety.

Now, if I call up the local Trane dealer for a new furnace, I certainly
don't expect any objectivity on from him/her. It is not a problem if
Trane has bestowed titles, free trips to the Bahamas, fish tacos, or any
other gratuity to him/her. In fact, the more the better, since that
means they are more than likely competent at what they do.

I'd say IT consultants dealing with Exchange are in the second group.
Most pitch MS solutions, and make no claims of objectivity. Also, when
an IT professional uses something like Microsoft MVP after their name,
that serves as a disclosure to the client that there is an existing
relationship between the consultant and Microsoft.

For sure ethics standards are a slippery beast and make for an ever
changing landscape. It would be simpler if the whole world adopted the
"not even the appearance of impropriety" standard, but that just isn't
going to happen. Therefore, every profession defines, and continually
redefines the "line" that divides ethical from unethical.