From: Greg Deckler [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Wednesday, December 17, 2003 7:52 PM
To: Exchange Discussions
Subject: RE: Migrating from GroupWise 6.5

People mis-characterize and read things into my posts that are not there.
This one I have to do in-line.

> First of all, I've seen plenty of statements by people who accurately
depict
> reasons that your opinion is bunk. You've either not read or not
> comprehended them.

No one in 8 years has proven the statement flawed or illogical that when
you work in an industry and accept gifts from vendors in that industry
that it presents a real or perceived conflict of interest. This has been
the point since day one, is the point today and will be the point tomorrow
and the next day and the next.

> I've seen your comments repeatedly over the years, and continue to
disagree
> with them. Its also painfully obvious to a casual observer that you're
using
> incorrect statements in defense of your position.
>
> > "And ethics are not passed as laws. There is no law that
> > a company's employees cannot accept gifts. The ethics that
> > lawyers and doctors follow are also not laws."
>
> While this is technically accurate, in fact it is inaccurate. Both these
> professions require licenses to practice. Lawyers who decide to cross a
> relatively arbitrary line involving a conflict of interest can and have
been
> disbarred - in other words, their license to practice law is revoked.
> Doctors, too, can have their medical license suspended or revoked. In
either
> case, they are not allowed to practice their profession without that
> license. Ergo, those professions' codes of ethics *are*, if somewhat
> indirect, law.

Yes, I understand and know all that, but that was not the point. Ethics go
far, far beyond mere laws. Lawyers can be disbarred for ethics violations
but not face any criminal prosecution. Yes, they can also be disbarred AND
face criminal prosecution, but the point was made in response to an
argument that indicated that ALL ethics must be legislated. Don't take
things out of context.

> Your most asinine statements, however, are your explicit statements that
> being awarded a vendor sponsored honor automatically removes any and all
> objectivity for those on whom the honor is bestowed. The fact that you
> repeatedly use that argument shows me how weak your argument really is,
> especially since you can't show a single instance of where this actually
has
> happened.

I don't say this. I say that it is a real or perceived conflict of
interest and hence a violation of basic ethics. I have stated repeatedly
that MVP's may well NEVER cause anyone to ACT unethically. And guess what?
It is irrelevant, it is still a real or perceived conflict of interest.
What part of this are you missing?

> Because the MVP community is both under NDA's to Microsoft and also has
> private community newsgroups, you don't see that MVP's as a group are some
> of the most critical of Microsoft's products and policies.
>
> But none of that matters to you, because we're all just in Microsoft's
> pockets anyways. Its not like 12 of the 24 servers I've deployed this year
> run non-Microsoft OS's or anything.[1]

Again, it does not matter if MVP is the greatest thing since sliced bread,
results in world peace and gives every starving kid a home. None of that
changes that it is a real or perceived conflict of interest. Again, it
matters not one bit if MVP's act unethically or not, it is a conflict of
interest plain and simple. I would be willing to bet that most if not all
of the MVP's do NOT act unethically because of the title. Guess what?
Doesn't matter. Still an violation of basic conflict of interest rules.

> So, I think its fair to say that you've not come even remotely close to
> proving to anyone where this alleged conflict of interest is, and how it
> negatively impacts our objectivity.

I didn't say that it negatively impacts your objectivity, I said it has
the *potential* to impact your objectivity. Why? Because it is a real or
perceived conflict of interest.

> And, in the interest of full disclosure, two of the three accolades in my
> signature line are from Microsoft, obviously the last two. The first (MTS)
> was bestowed by my employer. Does that mean I'm instantly biased towards
my
> employer?

You obviously fail to understand what I am talking about.