Ok, lets try to clear something up.

"Open Relay" is a very specific term within email systems, it is a
defacto standard way of describing one particular configuration issue
that, as Ed says, leaves you wide open to having a server used to send
spam to others. It should have little or nothing to do with the amount
of spam arriving at your organisation, other than the fact that a
spammer may think that someone who is too clueless to close an open
relay may also be too clueless to stop them from spamming your
customers/users.

>From reading your messages, I'm thinking that when you talk about other
exchange sites in your organisation being open relays, you are talking
abou them being open in the sense that they are not as well protected
against incoming spam as you are, and relays in the sense that they are
in the same exchange org as you and are therefore behaving as all good
exchange servers should and routing mail that arrives there addressed to
mailboxes on your servers.

Is that second paragraph a correct description of how you see the
problem? If so, then you don't have an open relay (well you might, but
its not connected to this issue at all), so it is best to avoid that
term as you are confusing the issue.

--
Robert Moir
Microsoft MVP