From: Wayne Hanks [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Monday, September 03, 2001 9:56 PM
To: MS-Exchange Admin Issues
Subject: RE: HP to acquire Compaq?

Major scale takeover!!! I'm just wondering which of the product lines will
get the chop.  I know Compaq recently announced that they would be tapering
off the production of Alpha machines, so I wonder which of the overlapping
products will be cut as well.  I suspect that the HP desktop range may be
tapered off as Compaq have some red hot desktop machines.
Will the combined company be larger than IBM?  The suggestion here in Oz is
that it would be as they both anounced sales figures just under IBM's
recently.

Does the USA have anything like the ACCC ( Australian Competition and
Consumer Commission) which has to vet the merger?  If so then they may have
a hard time pushing this deal through.  I'm assuming the SEC only handles
the company management side of things, not how this will affect consumers.

Some wild times still ahead for the IT industry.  :-)