Just to make sure that we’re all clear, you’ve done the following, right?

New server – 4 hard drives set up in 2 separate mirrors. (as someone else suggested, if you can get your hands on one more, you would ultimately be best off to have one raid 1 mirror for the OS, and a raid 5 for the Exchange DB’s).

Also, whether you use per seat or per server on the server itself I think doesn’t matter much.  Just make sure that you turn OFF the license logging service on BOTH servers.  It saves you a lot of pain and headache.  As stated before, as long as you have the paper licenses to back up what you are doing, it doesn’t matter.

RE: Exchange 5.0 – if it does the job, great.  Keep in mind that I don’t believe MS supports it any longer.  Usually, they support the current product and one before (Exchange 2K and 5.5) so if you ever have serious problems, you may not be able to get the type of support you need.  That being said, you may not have the budget to do an upgrade like that.  Plus, you can’t buy Exchange 5.5 any more, although it is included on the Exchange 2K cd I believe.

With the new server online and in the same Org/Site (which reminds me, which version of 5.0 do you have?  Standard or Enterprise?), I don’t think you will have many problems with the users.  If you are able to do the move mailbox, their Outlook clients will automatically change to the new server.

Also, make sure that you follow Ed’s method exactly.  There are some additional steps after doing the server move (Q152959) that have to be done before you shut off the Exchange services.  Hope this helps.

Ben Winzenz, MCSE

Network/Systems Administrator

Peregrine Systems, Inc.