From: Heisey, Tom [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Wednesday, September 26, 2001 1:25 PM
To: MS-Exchange Admin Issues
Subject: RE: Email Viruses

I've set our software to block any email that contains a system file or
executable, including    .bat, .com, .pif, .bin, .chm, .cmd, .cpl, .dl?,
.drv, .exe, .ini, .js?, .ole, .ov?, .reg, .scr, .shs, .sys, .vb?, .vxd,
.wiz, .xml, and

We also block Office and other program's scripts, macros, or similar
dangerous files, for example, .dot, .msg, .xlt, and others.

We don't block Office documents, but quarantine any that contain macros.  We
also don't block movie, picture, or sound files, but we would consider that
if bandwidth becomes a problem over e-mail.  We've got 10mb mailboxes, so
not much goes through.

We allow compressed files, but the virus scanners do block executables
there, too.  If we have a legitimate need to receive one of these files, we
have several options - transfer by FTP or web, temporarily disable the
protection, or sneaker net.

Tom Heisey
Manager, Computer Assistance & Training
College of Human Sciences, TTU