There's also Q303991 which cures the "random authentication" problems
found in IM.

Neil

-----Original Message-----
From: Scott Schnoll [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Posted At: 12 November 2001 17:18
Posted To: Sunbelt Exchange List
Conversation: Instant Messaging Problem
Subject: Re: Instant Messaging Problem

Based on the information you've provided, it's impossible to say for
sure what the cause might be....but things I would check are:

1.    DNS.  Make sure your IM client's DNS settings are correct.  Make
sure the DNS server is reachable, etc.  You might also do both an
IPCONFIG /FLUSHDNS and an IPCONFIG /REGISTERDNS from the IM client
(assuming this is a Win2K IM client).

2.    Verify you are using the correct IM address.  You can view the
address in ADUC, from the Exchange Features tab.  Note that if you are
using a properly configured SRV record in DNS, you can also use your
default SMTP address to log on.

3.    Check IE Proxy settings on the client.  In particular, make sure
that (1) you are bypassing any proxy for local addresses; and (2) that
you go into the Advanced proxy settings and enter your network's address
ranges to the exclusion list.  For example, if your IP address is
192.168.10.1, you should add 192.168.* to this exclusion list, or
192.168.10.* to the exclusion list.  This is actually very important to
do this.  If you are using a proxy and you don't do this, you will never
be able to log on.

If none of these help, post back to the list with the exact text of
error message(s) you're getting, and any other info that might help.

-Scott