From: Bob Peitzke [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Friday, November 16, 2001 2:09 PM
To: MS-Exchange Admin Issues
Subject: Relaying - background?

Recently one of my users forwarded me a couple of NDR messages she got,
containing stuff like "recipient name is not recognized", "550", "Relaying
denied", "user unknown".  Our Exchange 5.5/SP3 server is not an open relay,
and we are cool with all the ORDB & ~ databases, FWIW.

This got me wondering about how relaying really works.  I know that incoming
mail destined for addresses in our domain go to our server, identified by
the MX record in our ISP's DNS tables.  I know that outgoing mail from our
server goes to a mail server at our ISP, which forwards it to other servers
in the appropriate domains - but I don't know how our server knows which
mail server at our ISP to send stuff to.  Our IMS is set up to use DNS for
message delivery, not to forward to a specific host.

Another part I don't understand is how SPAM works - if our server was an
open relay, how would a spammer send messages to our server, but have them
addressed to recipients in a different domain?  I.e. where is the separate
information on mail server to send to and ultimate recipient?

I've dug around some in Technet and various knowledge bases, but haven't
been able to find any illuminating background on how relaying and spamming
works.  I'd love to read up on it, if anyone has a pointer to a relevant
article.

TIA & have a nice weekend!

Bob Peitzke

List Charter and FAQ at: